Generate your own word search puzzle in 7 steps
With the help of Puzzle-Generator you can easily build your own word search puzzle in a few steps - with individual words. The result can be formatted in a modern way. Generate a great puzzle with your individual touch. Use it for the wedding newspaper or as a gift for birthday or Christmas.
The following tutorial shows you how to create your own word search puzzle with Puzzle-Generator in a few steps:
Step 1: Select puzzle type and create a new puzzle
- After download and installation, start the Windows program Puzzle-Generator from the Start menu.
- Use the menu item "File → New Puzzle" or the corresponding toolbar button to create a new project.
- A new dialog window opens where you can select the appropriate type of puzzle "Word Search Puzzle". A blank puzzle is generated and the program interface changes.
Step 2: Enter your own words
- You need to define the words for the fields in the word search puzzle. This can be done in the editor under "1. Enter Words".
Step 3: Define grid size and other options
After you have entered all words you can start the generation of a new word search puzzle.
- Switch to the tab "2. Generate" and set the size of the puzzle grid, for example 16x16.
- Choose whether words may be written backwards.
- You can also specify which characters are allowed to fill the rest of the grid.
Step 4: Generate the puzzle and check the result
In this step the word search puzzle is generated. Navigate to the tab "2. Generate".
- When the generation process has finished a preview of the created puzzle appears on the right. Below the Generate button you will find further details about the result (number of used words, used fields...).
Step 5: Customize colors, fonts and appearance
With Puzzle-Generator it is possible to customize the look of your word search puzzle in several ways.
- Select the tab "3. Configure" and go to the settings fields.
- Configure colors, size, boxes, fonts and much more.
- Choose a smooth gradient as background.
- Play around with the settings of Puzzle-Generator.
Step 6: Saving and Printing
Once you have a word search puzzle generated you should back up your work and save the project.
- Select "File → Save" or the corresponding toolbar button to save the current puzzle in a file.
- You can restore the file via "File → Open" and continue editing.
- To print your word search puzzle just navigate to "File → Print" or the corresponding toolbar button . Do not forget to select your printer in the Print dialog!
Step 7: Optional: Save your word search puzzle as a Word document
To edit the generated puzzle with other programs you have different options:
- Use the "Export" button to save image files (such as JPG, PNG or BMP) which you can open into an image -processing or page layout tool.
- Use the menu item "Options → Save Word Document" or the corresponding toolbar button to save the puzzle as a Word document (.docx). The .docx file can then be opened with Microsoft Word for further editing.